the BEST Butternut Squash Soup!
So I am VERY pleased with how this turned out :) Give yourself about 30 minutes in the morning to prep & start slow cooking this if you want to have it for dinner.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled & cut into cubes
- 1 granny apple, cored & diced
- 6-10 baby carrots cut, or 2-3 large carrots
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how spicy you want it)
- cinnamon & nutmeg to taste (I did 1/2 tsp each)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (could also be regular coconut milk but won't be as creamy)
- fresh sprig Sage
- Combine the broth & the prepared squash, onion, apple, carrots, garlic & spices (including sage) in the slow cooker (do NOT add coconut milk now) - mix around well to combine
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high (just make sure the squash is nice & soft, cooked all the way through)
- Puree mixture in blender or food processor (may need to do two batches, thats what I did)
- Serve warm & top with nutmeg! Enjoy!